5 Things to Add to Your Car Insurance-1

Insurance is not something we think about much. We usually purchase a policy and then forget about it. The time to review your automobile insurance coverage is before, not after, you are involved in a car accident. You might be surprised that you do not have sufficient coverage on your policy and that the policy does not protect you in the event you are injured by an uninsured driver.

What is “Full Coverage” Car Insurance?

Countless times in my more than 30-year career, I have met with clients who say they carry “a full coverage car insurance policy”. Unfortunately, “full coverage” may not be what it sounds like, and may not offer you the protection or benefits you intended when you purchased your car insurance policy.

5 Things to Add to YOUR Insurance -Checklist

Nevada requires that automobile liability insurance policies carry a minimum coverage of $25,000 for bodily injury or death of one person in any one car accident; $50,000 for bodily injury or death of two or more persons on any one car accident; and $20,000 for injury to or destruction of property of others in any one car accident.

In other words, to legally operate a vehicle in the state of Nevada you must have an insurance policy with at least $25,000/$50,000 in coverage to compensate those persons injured in a car accident that is your fault. This minimal limit may be referred to as “full coverage” because you are legally operating a vehicle on the streets and highways of the state of Nevada with the full coverage required.

Unfortunately, $25,000 may not be enough insurance coverage to protect you if you cause serious injuries in a car accident that is your fault. Additionally, the injured party can seek recovery against your personal assets should you not carry sufficient liability limits. This is especially true should the injured party require a trip to the emergency room.

Protect Yourself and Your Assets with the RIGHT Amount of Car Insurance

1. Increase Coverage on Your Liability Policy

Even though you are required to have a minimum policy of $25,000 to legally operate a vehicle in Nevada, that will most likely not be enough if you get in an accident. It is advised that you increase your coverage to at least $100,000 to better protect yourself and your personal assets. You have worked hard for everything you have. Make sure you are insured at a level that will give you peace of mind, even in the worst of circumstances. 

2. Purchase Uninsured Motorist Coverage

Without uninsured motorist coverage, your policy may not protect you if you are injured in an accident of no fault of your own and the at-fault driver is either uninsured or has a minimal limit policy. Almost every insurance company licensed to operate in the state of Nevada can offer you the option of purchasing uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. This type of coverage is not mandatory but is extremely advisable. It will cover your damages should you sustain serious injuries in a car crash and the person causing the accident has no coverage or minimal coverage to compensate you for your medical bills and injuries.

This is typically sold in blocks of $25,000, and it is advised you purchase between $25,000 and $100,000 of uninsured motorists coverage. 

3. Add Med-Pay Coverage to Your Policy

Medical payments coverage, or Med-Pay, will help pay medical bills incurred because of an accident, regardless of fault. Medical payments coverage can be purchased in varying amounts and is helpful should you require medical treatment after an automobile accident. The recommendation is to add at least $5,000 of Med-Pay insurance.

4. Make Sure You Have Comprehensive Coverage

Comprehensive coverage is different from “full coverage”. Full coverage is the minimum amount of liability coverage you need to legally operate a vehicle in Nevada ($25,000). Comprehensive coverage covers damages to your vehicle should you be at fault for the accident. This is especially good to have if you are still paying off your vehicle. Additionally, this coverage will cover repairs on things like backing into a pole, door dents, and other things that may damage your vehicle outside of a car accident.

5. Be Insured in the State You Live

Many people don’t think of changing their car insurance policies when they move states, but it is very important. Being insured in Nevada if you have recently moved makes sure you are in compliance with the law and have the minimum coverage to legally operate your vehicle.

Talk with your insurance provider and make sure you have enough liability insurance to protect your assets, and add uninsured motorist coverage and Med-Pay to your policy. You only think about Insurance when you need it, and if you need it, make sure it can make you whole again.


Reno personal injury attorney Matt Dion and his associates are proud to have been awarded Top Lawyer in the Top 100 Registry, Best Car Accident Lawyers in Reno, Top 3 Best Personal Injury Lawyers in Reno, and named a Respected Lawyer from RespectedLawyers.com.

Matt Dion & Associates represents Nevada and California clients in a complete range of personal injury matters. Our office is located in Reno. Call 775-737-4500 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation.