Why motorcycle injury claims should be treated differently than car accidents
Motorcycle accidents are unique to car or truck accidents. While driving a motorcycle comes with a sense of freedom and agility that is lacking when driving a car or truck, motorcycles they also provide little protection for the rider involved in a crash. Because there is more vulnerability and less protection when driving a motorcycle, the injuries can be more severe, and the damages can be much greater.
Motorcyclists are approximately 26 times more likely to die in a crash than someone riding in a car or truck and are 5 times as likely to be injured. Most motorcycle accidents are caused by the other driver failing to see and yield to the motorcyclist’s right of way. This is especially true at intersections where drivers simply fail to see the motorcycle. It is estimated that 70% of all car versus motorcycle accident take place at an intersection.
At Matt Dion & Associates, we look at key aspects of a motorcycle injury claim such as:
- Higher likelihood of extensive injury resulting from even an apparently minor accident
- Lack of safeguards to protect you from permanent, life-threatening injuries
- Failure of motorists to detect or yield to motorcyclists
- Grave consequences when motorists tailgate or cut off a cyclist
- Effect of unsafe road conditions, such as potholes or uneven surfaces, on motorcyclists
When riding a motorcycle, take extra precaution for your own safety.
- First is visual recognition. Because of the low-profile nature of a motorcycle vs. a vehicle, crashes happen because the other driver fails to see the motorcyclist. Be aware that drivers may not see you.
- Road hazards such as potholes or uneven surfaces can be devastating to a motorcycle, whereas a driver in a car may pass over such obstructions without notice. Be careful.
- Driving a motorcycle safely also requires a refined set of skills not necessary for driving a car including agility, balance and control. Novice riders can get in accidents simply due to misjudgment or mishandling of the bike. Know your skill level.
- There is no barrier between the rider and the road. This increases the likelihood of injury or death exponentially as opposed to a car or truck. Those who do wear proper protective gear like helmets, gloves, boots, jackets, and full coverage clothing reduce their risk of serious injury. Wear your safety equipment.
Damages that can be claimed in a motorcycle accident.
When working with a client who has suffered in a motorcycle accident, Matt Dion & Associates will help you recoup the following damages in order to get you back on your feet and your life back to pre-crash status.
- Compensation for past and future medical expenses
- Recovery of lost wages
- Damages for pain and suffering
- Reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses
- Maximum value for your damaged bike
- Payment for repair of a damaged bike
Working with an experienced attorney who knows the nuances and special circumstances that come with a motorcycle accident over a car crash, ensures you get the best results on your claim and the maximum amount of compensation for your injuries and property damage.