Award-Winning Wrongful Death Attorneys in Reno, Nevada
Wrongful death lawsuits are brought when a person dies as the result of another’s negligence, or a malfunctioning product. Examples of wrongful death cases include when a person dies as the result of car accident injuries; a person dies because of someone’s negligence – e.g. missing or faulty safety equipment. These types of lawsuits seek compensation for the survivors’ loss, such as lost wages from the deceased, lost companionship, and funeral expenses.
Wrongful death cases are civil claims, and in Nevada the statute of limitations to file a claim is two years, from the date of the event resulting in death. Nevada statutes also regulate who is entitled to file a wrongful death lawsuit. The surviving spouse, partner, or children of the deceased person; and the parents of the deceased person, may be entitled to file a wrongful death lawsuit. You will also want to understand what, if any, life insurance your loved one may have had.
The sudden loss of a loved one is tragic and can be very disorienting. Matt Dion & Associates will help you understand if you have a case and if you do have a claim, walk you through the process to ensure you have the best chance for a successful outcome. In a wrongful death case, you can claim certain damages as the survivor that may include:
- The deceased person had “pain and suffering” prior to dying of their injuries, often called a “survival” claim
- The medical expenses that the deceased incurred as a result of the injury prior to death
- Funeral and burial costs
- Loss of the deceased person’s expected income and/or the value of services they would have provided
- Loss of any inheritance as a result of the death
- Suffering of the survivors as a result of no longer having the care, guidance, nurturing, love, and companionship of the deceased
If a loved one has died after a car accident or injury caused by the negligence or misconduct of another person, company, or organization, you may be entitled to bring a legal action for wrongful death against those responsible. Schedule a free consultation with Matt Dion & Associates to discuss the specifics of your situation and understand your choices as the survivor.